Ground Maintenance Specialist- University Campus- Clearwater
HOURS OF WORK: 8:00am-4:30pm
Our commitment to quality service and performance begins with hiring people aligned to our Core Values: Trust & Respect, Improving Lives, and Continuous Progress. Our Encompass team members are talented and are enthusiastic about working in facility services.
With support and recognition from co-workers and management, our employees have an opportunity to attain professional development and career growth along with personal satisfaction in a dynamic and friendly environment.
NATURE OF WORK
The Groundskeeper-General Maintenance Worker performs semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of university grounds and landscapes. Our Groundskeepers operate electrically powered and gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines and utilizes small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating, and trimming grounds and landscaping. The Groundskeeper also performs maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools and makes minor repairs (within demonstrated capability) as directed.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Performs tasks common to the care of grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting; inspecting plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting, pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers; and storing and caring for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season.
- Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing lawns with riding or push mowers; trimming and edging around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks, and buildings; weeding, thinning, and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
- Provides a record of grounds and landscape watering and chemical spraying by keeping daily logs of areas watered and duration of watering and the application of chemicals, including areas sprayed, amount and type of chemicals used, substances sprayed and reason, and the wind speed and direction at time of spraying.
- Performs campus-wide general maintenance and repairs by installing, removing, repairing, and maintaining landscape lighting, parking meters, signs, cables, chains, barricades, gates, bicycle racks, feeders, posts, fences, and rock walls; and repairing streets, parking lots, athletic fields, tennis courts, track and omni turf, as applicable.
- Removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole covers, etc., for debris; raking, sweeping, and bagging leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks, parking lots, tunnels, and transporting the trash to designated central collection points daily.
- Reduces the likelihood for the spread of diseases and unsightly appearance of trash containers in public areas by emptying, cleaning, and disinfecting trash and cigarette receptacles on a regular basis, and removing, repairing, and installing trash and cigarette receptacles on university property on an as needed basis.
- Assists in preventing accidents resulting from wet walkways by providing caution signs; operating leaf blowers to prevent slippery surfaces due to wet leaves.
- Prepares outdoor locations for use by visitors, vendors, and the public as needed by campus operations and, if applicable, painting and marking athletic fields, moving bleachers, and seating, and erecting portable goals or other athletic equipment.
- Applies chemicals used in groundskeeping (horticulture, turf management, and floriculture) properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing/uniform, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the chemicals properly on grounds and landscapes designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing and labeling them for future use.
- Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers or riding mowers and portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, snow/leaf blowers, sprayers, paint machines and other groundskeeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective clothing.
- Ensures that grounds maintenance equipment and building maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment, and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- Exterior/Interior Trash pickup.
- Power washing/Window washing maintenance as needed.
- Contributes to the overall success of the campus by performing all other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The ability to read English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of cleaners, solvents, chemicals, fertilizers, and related products used in groundskeeping is required.
- Skill in the proper operation and maintenance of grounds maintenance tools, equipment, and machinery is required.
- The ability to identify and eradicate disease or insect damage to plant and turf materials is preferred.
- Represents Encompass in a positive manner; and is pleasant, tactful, professional, respectful, courteous, and cooperative with supervisors, co-workers, residents, student’s vendor representatives, managers, customers, and other departments.
- Have a valid driver’s license with clean record.
- A high school diploma or the equivalent is required.
- Possession of a public pesticide applicators license is preferred.
- At least two years of experience in groundskeeping is required, where knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in planting, cultivating, and trimming a variety of types of trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers and grasses has been gained; an associate degree in horticulture or a related field may be substituted for the two years of experience required.
- Knowledge of the use and proper disposal of chemicals used in groundskeeping (horticulture, turf management, and floriculture) is preferred.
- Requires the ability to lift and carry groundskeeping supplies and equipment weighing up to fifty pounds on a frequent basis and up to one hundred pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing, and frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching daily.
- Requires a full range of physical motion to operate manual, electrically powered and/or gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines.
- Requires the ability to access facilities and areas which may only be accessible by climbing stairs or by climbing ladders to a height of twenty feet (e.g., for tree trimming).
- Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily out-of-doors, year-round.
- Employees in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees and must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather.
- The Groundskeeper/General Maintenance Worker is supervised by a designated supervisor and does not exercise supervision of others, however, may be required to supervise student/intern workers or temporary employees.
Encompass is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
EEO Class Code: Professional